Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

4 month old fully breastfed only poops every 2-4 days, usually 3 days
    An_246126 posted:
    My doctor says that this is okay because my daughter's stomach doesn't get hard. It has ben going on for a month & half and if it goes 4 days I do a suppository to get her to poop. It is runny normal consistency with some mixed in hard flakes, but I think that is from the suppository. The doctor recommended the suppositories when we were traveling and she did not poop for 4 days, but is it safe for me to be using pediatric suppositories every 4 days?

lenono97 responded:
    I don't know about safety but I don't think it sounds necessary. Some babies, and even adults, don't go every day. Everyone has a different "normal." Unless her poop is hard or it looks like she is struggling, I would try and let her go on her own. Remember, her body is using most of the breast milk for growing, so there is not much left over for "poop."

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hello Anon -

This article, Color Changes in Your Baby's Bowel Movements , talks about breastfed babies may not have a BM for days.

Hopefully you have talked with your doctor and discussed the suppositories to discuss if you need to continue or just wait it out.

Let us know how she is doing.

Elizabeth
    Elizabeth
    ~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

hgreenwood7058 responded:
    My son is on breastmilk only. He started not pooping but every 2-4 days. I do not do suppositories. I tried gas drops prior but it made him vomit a lot. I now use gripe water (it is a lg amount at 5mls but you can add a little water and my son sucks it right down). And i do that two or so times a day and then by the 2nd day he explodes a diaper.

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
    For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.