Skip to content
4 month old fully breastfed only poops every 2-4 days, usually 3 days
An_246126 posted:
My doctor says that this is okay because my daughter's stomach doesn't get hard. It has ben going on for a month & half and if it goes 4 days I do a suppository to get her to poop. It is runny normal consistency with some mixed in hard flakes, but I think that is from the suppository. The doctor recommended the suppositories when we were traveling and she did not poop for 4 days, but is it safe for me to be using pediatric suppositories every 4 days?

lenono97 responded:
I don't know about safety but I don't think it sounds necessary. Some babies, and even adults, don't go every day. Everyone has a different "normal." Unless her poop is hard or it looks like she is struggling, I would try and let her go on her own. Remember, her body is using most of the breast milk for growing, so there is not much left over for "poop."

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon -

This article, Color Changes in Your Baby's Bowel Movements , talks about breastfed babies may not have a BM for days.

Hopefully you have talked with your doctor and discussed the suppositories to discuss if you need to continue or just wait it out.

Let us know how she is doing.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

hgreenwood7058 responded:
My son is on breastmilk only. He started not pooping but every 2-4 days. I do not do suppositories. I tried gas drops prior but it made him vomit a lot. I now use gripe water (it is a lg amount at 5mls but you can add a little water and my son sucks it right down). And i do that two or so times a day and then by the 2nd day he explodes a diaper.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.