Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
3 week old way to much spit up
Aliyahsm0mmy posted:
my 3 week old baby is breastfed and formula supplemented and starting last night she keeps spitting up (well more like throwing up) a scary amount. to the point were her blankets and clothes are soaked. i was laying in bed and she was in her bassenet next to me and i woke up to the sound of her gasping and i looked and she was throwing up and couldnt get it all out. she has done it 3 times now and keeps making sounds like she cant breath.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi Aliyahsm0mmy,
I am so sorry to hear your little one had such a difficult night. Vomiting in babies can be a very scary thing for parents. Often times it is a sign of acid reflux, but given her very young age, and the amount of vomiting that you are describing, the best course of action would be to have her seen by your pediatrician. He or she will be able to help sort out the cause of her sudden vomiting. I hope that helps, and best of luck to you.
Dr. DuMond

hgreenwood7058 responded:
It does sound like reflux or she could possibly have a sensitivity to cow based formula. I would discuss it with your pediatrician. Because she is being supplemented they may say change her formula or they may give you a med and see if that helps.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.