Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Blow to the head of a child
    mustelid1 posted:
    I realize this isn't an abuse oriented group, but I was encouraged to ask my question here. When I was a very young child, my father would ball up his fist and slam it down on the top of my head. I have been trying to find out what kind of physical damage this kind of thing might do.Any insight here?
    Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Mustelid1 -

    Thanks for bringing your concerns to WebMD. I am so sorry to hear that you encountered this as a child and now possibly having some effects from this. I also encourage you to talk with someone about the emotional vs physical impact this could cause.

    Here are some resources that talk about blows to the head -

    A Visual Guide to Concussions and Brain Injuries
    Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
    Child Abuse & Neglect - Symptoms
    Concussion Directory - many links

    Let us know if this is helpful,

    ~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

    Helpful Tips

    Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
    For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 5 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.