Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hello!
nicram8683 posted:
This is my first real post here so I thought I would say hello. I have used the webmd boards from TTC & infertility to now. I love the advice from all the other posters and just being able to talk to others who understand.

My son was born 6/6/12 and spent 5 days in the NICU with a delayed meconium plug. Still now at 6 weeks he seems to be having some digestion issues with both gas & pooping. While he is not constipated, his poop is very thick (like toothpaste) and I can tell it makes him uncomfortable when he is trying to go. I do breastfeed but not exclusively, and he is supplemented with soy formula. He sleeping patterns are great, with only waking twice during the night. Thats a little bit about my new experience so far!

I look forward to being part of the community!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Nicram8683! Good to "see" you over here with your cute little guy, love the pic!

Welcome to Baby's First Year, it's been a little slow so hopefully we can recruit the other new mommies to join the party!

I can't believe he is already 6 weeks old, so sorry his digestive problems are still working themselves out, but YEAH on sleeping!

Be sure to respond to the Monday Minutes post stickied at the top of community.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Hi nic! I was in some of the other boards with you I am exclusively pumping for little man with no supplementing and little man has the same type of pooping. I am wondering if it has to do with anything in our diet. Carson gets fussy too and boy is he a gassy little thing lol. Carson was born 3/31 though. But he has had this problem for a little while. Otherwise he is a super happy baby. He used to go poop like 7 times a day and then all the sudden he didn't go for like 4-5 days which was super unusual for him. I tried the gripe water and while i am not sure if it was that, that caused him to go but it was shortly after the second dose that he finally went (and boy did he explode that diaper. Good thing it was a good diaper otherwise it woulda went up out of all the sides!). Now he seems to go once, maybe twice every 2 days or so. I hope your little man is doing well otherwise. Carson started rolling over on saturday!

nicram8683 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Hi Heather!

Well he seems to have gotten into a fairly comfortable schedule with the pooping. Over the past few days, he has gone once a day. It is still thick, but nothing like constipation. And he is a very happy baby otherwise. I got the gripe water last Friday and only used it the one day and I got the same reaction. A blow out poop after 2 days of no poop and a lot of fussiness. Since then its been fine.

Congrats on Carson rolling over. Trevor will roll from his tummy to his back, but nothing more. Although when he wakes up at night upset, he kicks his little legs so hard that I swear he will be rolling himself in no time lol. Trevor has his 2 month appt on 8/7 so getting shots should be interesting and I am really looking forward to getting his weight checked. He had lost so much weight after being born (since he wasnt allowed to eat in the NICU). His last 2 appointments he was in the 13th then 17th percentile only. But he seems so much bigger to me now, so hoping for a good weight!

hgreenwood7058 replied to nicram8683's response:
Carson will be 4 month on the 31st but his appt is also on the 7th (his dr was out of town) so it will be shot day for us as well. If you do bottles (formula or breast milk) bring one with you. Carson hated his two month shots but well who likes shots. As soon as we gave him the bottle he stopped crying, ate and passed out while we were on our way out the door. Carson hadn't gone in three days recently and then went quite a bit yesterday and today (he was fussy off and on the last few days so I am thinking he was constipated) Pretty thick too for being breast milk baby. I am looking forward to seeing how big Carson is too. Its been two months since his last check so I am curious just how big he has gotten. Seems a lot bigger to me. Best wishes

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.