Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Infant Heartburn
sw1251 posted:
My great nephew went through some 21 seizure like symptoms today. When they took him to the hospital they ran a EKG and came up with a diagnosis of Severe Infant Heartburn. They called it something like "Sanderford Syndrome. Has anyone heard of this type of thing?

mom2aboy3 responded:
no not that syndrome ive herd of reflux in babies my 12 week old son has reflus has had it sence he was around 2 weeks old he will only take so much formula or he gets a belly ache and if you lay him doen after having a bottle he spits up and most of time its threw his nose not his mouth so his pedi told us to elevate his head so that the formula stays in his stomache and doesnt have a chance to come up his esophagus and cause him heart burn and spit up it works for the most part hope this little sugguestion may help you out hope hes better real soon

sw1251 replied to mom2aboy3's response:
Thank you for the information. Zane is 9 months old and just started these symptoms. I have found a couple of articles written by parents on the internet about this Sandifer Syndrome. There was even one that showed a video of her daughter having one of these seizure like episodes. With both of these cases, the doctors prescribed Prevacid type medicine. It is not really like reflux. Thanks for the info though.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to sw1251's response:
Hello sw1251 and Welcome -

This does sound frightening, I am so sorry to hear your family is going through this.

This resource from our sister site Medscape may be helpful -
Sandifer Syndrome .

Please keep us posted and let us know how he will be treated.

Have any others experienced this?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

sw1251 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have passed this information on the my niece, Zane's mom. They have been treating him with some over the counter medicene until they can get with his regular doctor. He seems to be doing much better.

As far as we know, there have not been any more diagnoses of this kind in our family, although I have seen children to the jerking back and arching as Zane has done. We just attributed it them thinking they were falling because they were not in someone's arms at the time. Zane was having so many of them and so close together that it caused everyone to pay more attention. My neice also had epilesy as a child and can still have seizures, but had not had one in years now. That also caused concern.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the information track though. We can all learn from each others experiences.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.