Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    4 days old Baby Chemcal Burn.
    ddssteve posted:
    My newborn baby got severe chemical burn from IV infiltration. Plastic surgeon wanted to try silvadene cream for wound care, however I realized that there is big warning sign on silvadene label not to use preganat woman and infant under 2months old!!! This med increase change of Kernicterus. I called the office to talk to surgeon, but he was busy doing something else. Nurse told me silvadene is okay to use on my girl, she states that it is not really strong. I am really uncomfortable using medication for my 10 days old girl. Is there any other medication we can use for wound care?
    hgreenwood7058 responded:
    I am not sure if there is another type of cream that is safe. Instead of the surgeon maybe call the pediatrician and see if there is something else. Sometimes ped's doctors may know things surgeons don't and vice versa. I think I would feel more comfortable if I heard its okay to use from the pediatrician.

    Helpful Tips

    Feeding tip
    When my baby was same age the rule was 2oz per pound. So if baby waight is 10lbs then he/she should have about 20 oz of formula. Have you ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.