Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it ok to mix formulas for a newborn?
Anon_152582 posted:
I started out exclusively breastfeeding and due to the pain and a breast infection i had to stop and switch to formula for both our sakes. She is 3 weeks old and has bad reflux/spitting up that comes out her nose as well. I feel even more guilty not being able to breastfeed now that shes going through this too. She was on the enfamil newborn and would spit up a lot. Pediatrician reccommended alimentum. She spit up even more with that at first and now its anytime she drinks more than 1 oz... out her nose mouth etc. She also hasnt had a bowel movement in about 48hrs since starting the alimentum as well. I read many post about people finding a relief by mixing the reg formulas with the specialized. I have done her last 2 bottles mixing ( 2 oz bottle-- 1/2scoop enfamil and 1/2 the alimentum). So far no spit up and shes been finishing her bottles with ease. Just looking for some advice as to if this is Ok to do or if it isnt advised to mix formulas. The portions are the same on both-- 1 scoop to 2 ounce formula. Any expert advice would be appreciated!

thank you!!!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon -

I am so sorry to hear you and your tiny one are struggling with feeding.

While waiting for more moms to pop in I wanted to give you this link - Your Guide to Bottle Feeding

Other moms - What suggestions do you have?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

brokenlove replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
its not always easy going from breast to formula for moms or babys especially if the mom wanted to breast feed. with my son whos now four i pumped for two months because he wouldnt latch on because he was a preemie. well i played around with different formulas till i found one that worked which was enfamile gentle ease. what his dr suggest was to mix them when i introduced a new formula so it wasnt a sudden change. its ok to mix them but it will get pricy buying two different formulas. what id suggest is slowly reduce the amount of one and increase the other and if the spit up stops/stays how its now then gradually take away one formula. try burping at every half ounce which may help reduce the spit up due to gas bubbles.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.