Skip to content
Hi Ladies( newbie)
amarasmom posted:
Hi Ladies,
I'm new to these boards, but not to webmd. I came here alot before everything changed. After that I went to onlyusmommies, and now I'm back. The ladies over there are really nice love them to death, but I miss these boards too. Anyways, After a long battle of infertility of 10 years, I finally became pregnant in apr 2011. I have a history of incompentent cervix. With Amara's pregnancy I had to get a cervical cerclage in july at 13 weeks. Needless to say, the cerclage failed at 21 weeks. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and I ended up delivering at 23w5d giving birth to a babygirl who weighed 1lb6oz on 10/4/2011. The battle was long, and there were alot of trials. She was only given a 17% survival chance, but she exceeded all doctors expectations. She was born with e.coli, group b strep. She needed to have heart surgery of which was a success. She developed mrsa. She had a long battle in the NICU, but I can honestly say that they took really good care of her. She was in the NICU the first 4 mos of her life. She wasnt due until 1/26/2011. She is a little fiesty momma, and was fiesty ever since she was born. She came out fighting for her life. She has been a joy to have and my onlyusmommies girls supported me alot. I am thankful to them and my family. She is now 6mos 2 weeks adjusted but her chronological age is 10 mos. My princess is quickly approaching 1 yr old and is getting into everything. Her name is Amara, and My name is Meka. Just thought I would share my story!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Welcome. I am glad your little girl came out fighting and still is. She went through a lot as did you and you are stronger for it. Congrats on your little girl.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Back Meka -

Congratulations! So glad to hear you and Baby Amara are doing OK after such a frightening and complicated beginning.

You both certainly sound like very strong girls!

How much does she weigh now? Has she caught up yet?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.