Skip to content
Hi Ladies( newbie)
amarasmom posted:
Hi Ladies,
I'm new to these boards, but not to webmd. I came here alot before everything changed. After that I went to onlyusmommies, and now I'm back. The ladies over there are really nice love them to death, but I miss these boards too. Anyways, After a long battle of infertility of 10 years, I finally became pregnant in apr 2011. I have a history of incompentent cervix. With Amara's pregnancy I had to get a cervical cerclage in july at 13 weeks. Needless to say, the cerclage failed at 21 weeks. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and I ended up delivering at 23w5d giving birth to a babygirl who weighed 1lb6oz on 10/4/2011. The battle was long, and there were alot of trials. She was only given a 17% survival chance, but she exceeded all doctors expectations. She was born with e.coli, group b strep. She needed to have heart surgery of which was a success. She developed mrsa. She had a long battle in the NICU, but I can honestly say that they took really good care of her. She was in the NICU the first 4 mos of her life. She wasnt due until 1/26/2011. She is a little fiesty momma, and was fiesty ever since she was born. She came out fighting for her life. She has been a joy to have and my onlyusmommies girls supported me alot. I am thankful to them and my family. She is now 6mos 2 weeks adjusted but her chronological age is 10 mos. My princess is quickly approaching 1 yr old and is getting into everything. Her name is Amara, and My name is Meka. Just thought I would share my story!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Welcome. I am glad your little girl came out fighting and still is. She went through a lot as did you and you are stronger for it. Congrats on your little girl.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Back Meka -

Congratulations! So glad to hear you and Baby Amara are doing OK after such a frightening and complicated beginning.

You both certainly sound like very strong girls!

How much does she weigh now? Has she caught up yet?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful