Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Letting infant taste food.
tothebeach4 posted:
My sister has a 4 week old baby that she is allowing to "taste" her food. She lets him taste popsicles and she says he "loves" the taste of wheat thin crackers. And thats only what she named specifically; she says she lets him taste all her food. I tried to explain to her that this probably wasn't a good idea - immature digestive system, food allergies - she gave me the whole "mom said I could" excuse and laughed it off.

My question is... Is this a problem? And if so, how can I convince her to stop doing it?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Yikes - I am not a doctor or health care professional but this does not seem like a good idea for many reasons. I hope she has discussed this with her pediatrician.

Here are resources to share with your sister -

Starter Guide to Baby Food & Nutrition
Nutrition in the First Year: What to Feed Your Baby Now
Slideshow - What to Feed Your Baby in Year 1
Video - Baby Food Safety
Starting Solid Food Too Soon Tied to Childhood Obesity

Other moms - What do you think?
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

angy1984 responded:
this is a bad idea let her know if he happens to be allergic then it can kill him. and if she says she''ll call an ambulance they her they may not make it in time. and there's also the point that he may choke on it it could get lodged in his throat, and ask her if she knows baby CPR because it's a little different than for adults. sorry this makes me mad i got mad when people tried to feed my son stuff at 4 months. but good luck

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.