Includes Expert Content
4 month refuses bottle
An_247203 posted:
My four month old is refusing is bottle. We took him to doctor on Monday and he has an ear infection, so we thought that maybe it hurts to suck but he will suck down a bottle of pedialyte. He is taking in about 6-8 ounces of formula a day. He is on neocate milk for his milk allergy and has been for about 8 weeks now, so it shouldnt be that he hates the milk because he drank it up until a week ago. I am very stressed because I know he needs his nutrients from his formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated

lbcash responded:
I know when my son had an ear infection around that age he wouldn't drink his formula because it is a lot thicker than the pedialyte and he had to suck a lot harder to get it out of the bottle. He drinks Similac Sensitive for Spit Up and it is really thick. It only took a couple of days before he began to take his bottle normal again. My son also had RSV at 8 weeks and they had me to dilute his formula with water to thin it out but to let him still get the nutrients. Please talk to your Pedi before trying that though. Good luck!!!

lenono97 responded:
Is he full from the pedialyte and that's why he doesn't want the bottle? Just a thought.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi An_247203,
I am so sorry that your little guy is going through a rough time. It is bad enough to have to deal with an ear infection, but not being able to take formula, too? That's tough!! My advice is to hang in there, that it will get better. One of the other mothers (lbcash) mentioned that her child had a hard time with taking formula during an ear infection because it is thicker and causes babies to have to suck harder to get it out of the bottle. This is absolutely true, and I would expect him to be able to tolerate the formula much better, as the ear infection resolves. Keep him hydrated with the Pedialyte, continue to offer the formula first, and keep us updated.
Dr. DuMond