Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
teething oral gel
janadean posted:
so i asked my dd doctor about using baby oral gel i bought the regular tube an these new cotton swabs for teething from oral gel an they said not to use those until 6 mo or older but on the package of the swabs it says use at 4 months does anyone know why. Also if i can't/shouldnt use them any suggestions on what i should use, they said to use tylenol but i really dont want to keep giving her tylenol on a daily basis because of the liver damage warning. please help.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi janadean,
Teething can be so rough for some babies. Knowing how to soothe the pain can be just as rough for parents! I generally recommend avoiding the teething gels, for a couple of reasons. #1, The relief tends to be temporary and fleeting, similar to those over-the-counter sore throat sprays. #2, Because the relief is only temporary (think in terms of minutes), there is the risk of reapplying to frequently, and believe it or not, these seemingly harmless gels can be extremely dangerous to little ones if applied in large quantities. It can be absorbed into the body through the gums and have serious side effects. Since it is hard to say just how much is too much, and since the benefits are minimal at best, parents are better off trying other methods to treat teething pain: oral pain medications (like acetaminophen or ibuprofen) in weight-appropriate doses), cold teething rings, cold washcloths, etc. Hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.