Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dear Dr.
An_247514 posted:
My granddaughter just turned 4 months old. She has a problem that when she wakes up or if she gets excited when you are talking to her, then all of a sudden , sometimes it is either clear liquid or sometimes it is formula, that backs up in her throat and is choking her to the point that she cannot catch her breath. You can plainly see she is trying to swallow and swallow , but whatever is in there just keeps coming up in her throat and her eyes are like bugging out of her head, and she can't catch her breath . Some times it is worst than other times. This can happen 3 or 4 hours after she has had her bottle. I try keeping her sitting up straight for a while after I feed her thinking maybe that will give her formula time to digest. I never put her down for a nap right after she has a bottle. She is usually up for at least 1 hour if not longer before going for a nap. She has been put on Enfamil gentlease. Do you think this problem could be acid reflex or a digestive disorder or something else???

capriciousangel31 responded:
I would call your granddaughters doctor and mention this to him, your grand baby should not be struggling to breath or swallow

angy1984 responded:
enfamil makes a spit-up formula also might want to ask about switching her to that. but if i were u i would take her to the dr.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi An_247514,
I am so sorry to hear that your granddaughter is having this problem. What you are describing certainly sounds like it could be acid reflux, especially since it seems to happen hours after she eats and not during a feeding. Regardless of the suspected cause, she is having respiratory difficulty with these episodes, which means that it is definitely time for her to be seen by her pediatrician. Keeping her upright after feedings is a good idea, but I would not recommend trying out different formulas until she has seen her pediatrician. I hope that helps.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.