Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
3 Week Old...wanting to eat every 2 hours.
HTCMom posted:
From birth I was told that my baby boy would want to eat every 3-4 hours (he is a formula baby) However he mostly wants to eat every 2 hours. He is pretty consistent and eating 2 1/2 - 3 plus oz each feeding, has had 2 - 4 oz feedings but its like he has a little alarm clock that goes off after 2 hours and he wants food ASAP. In the night the 2 hour interval continues but he will fall asleep and never get a good feeding. Is there something I am doing wrong or something else I could be doing to get him to eat more at night. For instance last night one feeding he only took an ounce and a half...

**I have had one day that he went every 3 hours for feedings during the day but then by the 7pm hour he wanted food every 2 hours again.

Thanks for your advice.

BekahS responded:
This sounds perfectly normal...unfortunately for you. All babies are different and 3-4hours for a newborn seems a bit long. Yes, it's true that formula fed babies are supposed to stay fuller longer than breastfed babies. But....my 11week old is formula fed now (he was breastfed eatting EVERY 2 hours) and eats 6oz every 3 hours, 4 hours if I'm lucky. He does manage to sleep thru about half the night but it's taken a while for this.
Good luck and remember all babies are different. As long as he's gaining I wouldn't worry. And congrats!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
this is perfectly normal. My son is not formula fed but some babies including my son want to eat every 2 hours which is normal. As he gets older he may eat a little more and not as frequently. Carson still eats every 2 hours with the exception of at night when its every 3-4 hours. You just get used to having a bottle prepared and ready so that when he wants it, he gets it sooner rather than later. With formula they do tend to eat a little less frequently but when they are going through growth spurts or just being a particular little one they will eat more frequently.

angy1984 responded:
my son did the same thing the hospital tells you a general every 4 hours. if he is hungry every 3 or 2 then i would just feed him that offten. because he is hungry or needs the nutrition. dont worry about it your baby in normal

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.