Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What does a 5 month baby see when we play fight/wrestle?
An_247665 posted:
Okay, we joined this community because we saw something new to us for the first time today. We've children ages 10yr, 8yr, 4yr and 5 months. Dad and son were wrestling and play fighting today and our 5 month old baby boy was sitting in mom's lap in the same room started to fuss, then curl his lip, then scream and cry (no tears, but they might have come if we continued our play fighting). We laughed at first because we'd never seen this before. So was it a fluke? Dad and son started to wrestle again and again the 5mo baby started to get upset, looked right at the two of them and screamed and pouted.

We can't be the first persons on Earth throughout history to see this. But we've GOOGLED and found nothing. Dad wrestles with 5mo baby, they watch wrestling together (College and Olympics, not entertainment wrestling). So what gives? What did our baby see and why did he get upset?

It was funny, because we were playing, no one was hurt, we were laughing, but our baby just didn't like. Wondering who else has seen this and what we should or shouldn't do. Obviously we don't want to upset the little guy, but while we don't know for certain it's likely he's seen us wrestle/play fight before (because it's something our family does).

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon and Welcome!

Sounds like his senses are really starting to develop! Sensitive little guy!

While waiting for other to respond, I wanted to pass along this info about development and milestones -

Baby Development: Your 5 Month Old

Has he done this again?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

missashley1010 responded:
Yes my son does the same thing me and hubbi play fight alot well until Kaden was born. He does the same exact thing. Kaden is about to be a year old at the end of this month and he still flips if we shove tickle push around he is not okay with it. He mainly runs over to me and crys like daddy is hurting me..but he isnt. We try not to play fight around him anymore and if we do I make sure to laugh and giggle but it dosnt help much. Good luck your not alone.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.