Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
belly button infection?
An_247736 posted:
we have a 4 month old son that we noticed his belly button being slightly red, minorly swollen and has a wierd smell. she also found some dried up chunks of what she thinks was a bloody like substance. after his bath my wife put some alcohol on a q tip and cleaned the belly button, which made him scream in pain. she then rinsed it and redried it. when we try to check it now, he folds himself up and wont let us near it. any ideas of what this could be.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon -

Poor little guy! Hopefully by now you have called your pediatrician to have this evaluated and treated correctly.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to guess what's going on with out an exam.

Please check back in to let us know how he is doing and what you found out,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi An_247736,
I am sorry to hear about your little guy! I agree that this needs to be evaluated by your pediatrician. Hopefully by now, you have had a chance to have his belly button looked at. It is not uncommon for a small portion of the umbilical cord to remain moist (an umbilical granuloma), and this can lead to infections. The symptoms that you are describing certainly sound like this could be the case. Please let us know how he is doing.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.