Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Rash on face
ArleneMartinez posted:
My newborn just developed a rash on her pretty face...what can I do to get rid of it. or sooth it??? Any suggestions?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi ArleneMartinez,
Congratulations on your new little one! Newborn rashes can be very frustrating to deal with, but thankfully, most of them are nothing to be alarmed about. The most common rash in newborns is neonatal acne. This condition is self-limiting (it goes away on it's own without doing anything to it) and is due to maternal hormones circulating in the baby's system. It is not affected by anything the baby is exposed to and is not related to the mother's diet, even if you are breast feeding. The typical onset is around 2-3 weeks of age and it usually subsides by around 6-8 weeks. Eczema can also cause a facial rash in newborns. While it is also nothing to be overly worried about, if it seems like the rash is getting worse and not better, I would suggest seeing your pediatrician about it. Congratulations again, and best of luck to you!
Dr. DuMond

ArleneMartinez replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thank you for your quick response. I have another concern. How do I take care of constipation in a newborn?

mom2aboy3 replied to ArleneMartinez's response:
you call pedi because they would be able to clearify it better i know when my son was 2 weeks old his doc sugguested fleet eenima they sell it at the drugstore also ist a soap suds you could try a warm bath this was told to me recently when my 5 month old was constipated because of a new medication he is on for his reflux ii was also told to start him on juice but i think a newborn is to early for juice

ArleneMartinez replied to mom2aboy3's response:
Great thank you kindly...

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.