Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
infant blood in stool
An_248428 posted:
grandson is having blood in his stool even after changing to hypoallergenic formula nutragin is there another how long does this usually take to clear?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
He should be evaluated for the bloody stool.

cshyronia responded:
I agree my son was put on nutramigen and with in 24 hrs he stopped having bloody stools.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
I am so sorry to hear about your grandson. I presume that they are suspicious that a milk protein allergy is causing the blood in his stools, and that is the reason for switching him to Nutramigen. It can sometimes take several days for the stool to normalize, but if the blood in his stool is continuing beyond a week on the new formula, I would recommend contacting his pediatrician again. Sometimes it can be as simple as trying a different elemental (hypoallergenic) formula, but not always. It may be time to visit a pediatric gastroenterologist, who might be able to offer additional guidance in terms of the next step. I hope that helps.
Dr. DuMond

sumis replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Is he taking any multivitamin drops like polyvisol ?My DS had bloody stools and asoon as I stopped the drops the blood stopped as well .

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.