Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baby Choking on Formula
Zaysmama posted:
This is really scary to experience but my son is almost 8weeks old and has had him formula switched 3 different times. He started on Similac Advanced and then had to be switched to Similac Soy because we believe he may have a lactose intolerence and then had to be switched again to the Similac Alimentum because he was still having a difficult time digesting the Soy. The issue that forced us to switch in the first place has finally been corrected but now we have a bigger issue, when he eats and doesn't get all of the burps out or falls asleep and some of the formula sits in his mouth or throat, he will start choking. Several times I have awaken in the middle of the night to him gasping for air and screaming when he gets it because the formula seems to turn into a thick slime in his throat blocking his airways. Sometimes when he starts choking the formula comes out his nose and his mouth and makes it even harder for him. I always grab him and get him to his stomach so that he can get it out but it still scares me. It doesn't happen everytime he eats but a baby choking even once is too much so I don't know what to do. What happens if I don't hear him one night or I don't get to him in time or someone else is keeping him and they don't know what to do to help him?

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions to fix it would be appreciated!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
My son is not formula fed but we had issues with him choking when he eats ( I pump milk for him and he eats it from a bottle) and he would also gasp for air. And even with the breast milk it would come out curdled sometimes. Two things. We were told he just needs to learn to eat and breath at the same time. He also would gasp for air sometimes at night as well which of course freaks you out. He did it during the day to at complete random. For the 1st 6 months (he is now 7 months) we kept him in a newborn sleep and play rocker thing which keeps the head elevated so less risk of aspiration and this way too, I was able to keep him right next to the bed or couch or wherever I was and could quickly get to him. It is scary I do agree. I also for the first little while kept a clean nose syringe (never used for nose) and would suck out the curdled stuff if I needed to. The hospital had us do this in the hospital after he was born because he was born via emergency c-section (36 hour labor, then complications for both him and I = emergency c-section and I was put completely under bleh oh and he was also 2.5 weeks early too). So he couldn't squish all the junk out of his lungs.I would suggest mentioning it to the doctor about the gunk. And if you can either get one of those new born sleep and play rocker things or see about elevating the head of the crib.The doctor can give you recommendations about that. Best wishes

Zaysmama replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Thank you very much for your reply. I do have him sleeping in a Newborn Glider thing that is right next to my bed and when he is down stairs he has a bassinett so he is always nearby. He is eating fine and its not that he is gasping for air during feedings its that once he is finished eating it turns to gunk in his troat and he gags or chokes on it. Glad to hear your LO is doing better now.Zakiyah was only 3days early and was born vaginally with no problems at all so I don't believe that would be any reason for this issue, but since thats not it, idk what is causing it. But he sees the dr next week so I will definitely mention it and see what they suggest. As for the bulb syringe thats a great idea so I will go buy a few and keep one upstairs, one in the diaper bag, and one downstairs just to be sure there is always once close!
Thanks again for your reply! I just really hope I can get some answers as to what is causing it so that we can correct it! Again I am really glad that your little man has stopped, I know how terrifying it is to hear that whether it be middle of the day or night!
Best wishes!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.