Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Babies and Flu Shots?
lindseydavis23 posted:
Hi all! My daughter is 6 months old, and at her 6 month check-up (which is tomorrow afternoon) they are recommending her to get the flu shot.. I'm a little nervous about her getting it because of all the horror stories out there.. Any thoughts or advice?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
My son got his flu shot last week and he is fine. When they are 6 months old they get half the dose now and then half again a month later. Carson got his a little later than his 6 month appointment since this check up is a big shot day. Give your LO some tylenol prior if you can because there a lot of pokes coming her way. It slows down to a few less pokes after this though. I also received my flu shot and made everyone in the house and the in laws who watch my son get theirs too. I would rather them have a sore arm (or in babys case sore leg) then my child get the flu. Also for the people that say "I got the flu from the flu shot or I got the flu shot and I still got the flu" well the flu shot is an inactivated virus so you cannot get the flu from the shot. Its dead. And what most people says is the "flu" is not actually the flu its a virus but whenever someone gets sick they automatically call it the flu (i.e. diarrhea and vomitting is not the flu. Respiratory, Fevers, chills are some symptoms of the flu but are also symptoms of a virus as well). The other thing to note is there are many strains as well the flu shot protects against the main ones. I was a certified medical assitant for 3 years floating to all depts within the medical center including the pediatrics department and these things were drilled into us in school as well. Also after the flu shot from what I learned recently (I switched depts to become a computer analyst but still keep up to date with my certification and I work with all the providers and nurses still) it takes a little while after the shot for you to be protected because the body needs time to build the antibodies. So if you get the shot, your not protected right then and there it does take a little bit to (I think I heard something like two weeks) to be immunized. And remember baby needs two doses (but they are 1/2 doses. spread 1 month apart). Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lindsey -

Hope all went well with her check-up. Did she get a flu shot?

In addition to the great info hgreenwood suggested here are a couple more resources -

Seasonal Flu Shot and Nasal Spray
Flu Shot OR Nasal Spray

Have any other parents or LO gotten a flu shot?

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.