Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Help!
KOMmom posted:
Our son will be 4 weeks old on Friday and for the last couple of days he has starting crying at night (after 5 p.m. or so) and we try to console him until he finally wears himself out at night to sleep. We struggle with trying to get him to keep a pacifier in and walk/rock/sway him to try to get him to stop crying. Some of it is from gas (we have him on the gas drops) but I think he has a touch of colic too. He's much better during the day but at night is a totally different story! We're also struggling with his formula intake in that he was taking 3 ounces every 2 hours. The pedi said it was too much and to make him wait for 3 hours before feeding. We've starting doing that and it is making him and us miserable. But we run the risk of giving him more gas if we keep him at the 2 hours. Has anyone gone through this? Any words of wisdom or anything we could try?

Thanks,

Tracy

Zaysmama responded:
Hey there I'm not sure why the evenings are worse than the day, but I definitely relate with the feedings. My son is 2months old today and for the first few weeks he was trying to eat every 2 hours and only eating like 2oz... The drs told me to make him wait a half hour longer each time so that he would eat more at each feeding. He is now up to 4hours between most feedings. He has always been very gasy, but the higher intake of food and longer wait time between feedings seems to have helped with the gas a bit.
This may also allow him to get more sleep if he's up every two hours to eat, and that may help with the fussiness!
Hope this helps some! Let me know!

KOMmom replied to Zaysmama's response:
Thanks for the advice! We ended up putting him on gentlease which has helped. It was a rough first day or so but he is now eating at about 3 hours during the day and night. Just have remember it will get better with time!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.