Skip to content
Need advice please!
KOMmom posted:
My ds was born 10/9 at 8 lb 8 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. When he went for his checkup last week he gained 3 lbs and grew a little over an inch. His dr said he should only be eating 3 oz every 3 hours. When I asked what I should do when at 2 hours he starts crying because he's hungry they said comfort him and try to use a pacifier. We've been good with the 3 hours but lately he's been hungry after about 2hrs 15 min. I can't see making him cry and wait for 45 min or an hour so I'm feeding him more often based on his need. Has anyone else run into this? I upped his last bottle by 1/2 oz to see if that would hold him off longer.

joniecox responded:
My son is almost 8 months now, but when he was a newborn I ran into this problem as well.
My son would eat every 2 hours. In fact he still would eat every two hours until about a month ago. He now eats every 3-3 1/2 hours. When your child is showing you those actions that he is hungry then feed them. At this early on he will let you know when he is hungry, and when he is full.
I was told by my son's doctor that when doctors/WIC tell you that a baby should be eating a certain amount it is just a suggestion.. Every baby is different.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.