Skip to content
Getting 6 month old to sleep in own bed
jjomalle posted:
So this is actually a dual problem. But first things first, about a month ago our 6 month old got chest congestion and so was having trouble sleeping. My wife was able to get him to sleep but he pretty much had to sleep with us. Since then it is almost impossible to get him to sleep in his own crib. I've noticed that he sleeps best when we put him in our bed with two pillows around him so he can essentially bury his face in one of the pillows. But I have also noticed that he always turns towards moms pillow, so I think one of the things is the smell of mommy. But how can we do that in his crib?
Secondly, same 6-month old slept for the first 5 month in a sleep sack with the arm wraps. He is now to big for the sack and they don't make any bigger than what we had. So we took the arms off of the small sleep sack and have just tried to use it to wrap him. But it doesn't work very well anymore, he seems to somehow get it up around his head and his arms free. So I'm trying to get him to sleep without the arms wraps. But as a result he always wants to go onto his tummy, which doesn't bother me much but he won't sleep then. He just wants to hold himself up like its tummy time. Help, I don't know what to do to get him to sleep.

nicram8683 responded:
My son is 7 months now and we also had the same problem. He would not fall asleep unless someone was holding him and if you tried to set him down after he fell asleep, he would wake up screaming. So I did some research and we used the Ferberizing (sp) technique. Some people dont believe in letting their baby cry for any period of time, so please research and see if its right for you.
But I can tell you the first few night were hard, very first time it took 3 hours for him to fall asleep in the crib on his own. Now only weeks later, once he is drowsy (around 8pm) I take him to the crib, lay him down, rub his little head, and then he falls asleep in about 5-10 mins. Its so amazing. Good luck

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I have the same problem, but with twins. My husband and I have to hold the babies in the living room and rock them until they go to sleep. Then, we put them in the crib, but one usually wakes up about an hour later. During the night, I alternate feeding one in bed with me, then letting him/her sleep with us. Then, when the other one wakes up, I swap them. At about 5:15 in the morning, about 15 minutes before my husband wakes up for work, the one in the crib wakes up and I get both of them into bed with us. They usually sleep until about 7:30-8:00.

I'd love for them to sleep in the crib, but this is the only way that I can get any rest, myself. If I only had one baby, I'd just say to heck with it and do straight co-sleeping. There's just not enough room for all of us to sleep in the bed together.

They are sleeping longer and longer periods as they get bigger and aren't waking as often, needing a bottle and diaper change. I hope that they'll outgrow needing to eat as often during the night.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.