Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
9 month old son absolutely refuses sleep
SNordby posted:
HELP!

My 9 month old son absolutely refuses to sleep. I have tried letting him cry it out. It has been about 6 nights and I am now averaging about 1 hour a night. He will nap during the day no problem, averages to about 4 hours, but at night if he does fall asleep it is no more than 20 minutes at a time. He is used to a specific and set bedtime schedule. He used to wake up maybe 2-3 times a night to eat (I was weaning him of that habit providing a watered down bottle or only half and it was working great). Now and for the last 6 nights all he does is fuss and scream. He is so over tired and nothing I can do makes him feel better. Night times are now a time of great stress, and honestly I don't know how I am going to keep this up. My poor daughter (who is 2) also gets woken up, though she falls asleep a lot better and is only woke maybe once or twice a night. I have tried to soothe him, and let him sleep in my arms, he fuses and wont sleep. I have tried letting him cry it out, this will be night number 4. It is currently 3am and defintely not working. He just cries himself into even more of a frenzy, will be quiet for a minute to catch his breath, then continue to scream. He hasn't had any issues with his eating. Nothing new has been introduced into his diet, this isn't how he usually reacts to tummy pain. His food has been staying down, he hasn't been sick, and I don't think this is a teething issue.

Any insight would be helpful, sleep is much needed in this house.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.