Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Straining to potty
An_251052 posted:
My one month is straining to poop she pees a lot threw the day but only one to two stools a day. Is this normal

hgreenwood7058 responded:
may be having a little bit of constipation if straining. It can be normal for some babies not to go every day esp formula fed babies. When carson hit about 2 months even though he had breastmilk only he had bouts where he would not go but every 3-4 days. Then when he would switch to every day.Has she been super fussy at all?

scperdomo7 responded:
Perfectly normal!!
Also, it may seem like she is strainging, when she really isnt. Newborns are still trying to figure out their bowels and pushing, so it might seem like there is a lot of grunting and what not going on, but its perfectly normal.

If when she does go, it is a normal consistency, there is no need to worry. I would contact your pediatrician if her stools are hard nuggets.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi there

At 1 month of age, many babies are undergoing normal changes to their digestive systems and they are often more gassy and fussy. Straining is very normal at this stage and should not be alarming unless bowel movements are overly firm. At this age some babies will have 7 BM's per day while others can go once every 7 days.

To me it sounds very normal.

Hope that helps. Dr Dan

Otto14 replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
My son is 3 months old and ever since birth he has had hard stools and they say that is normal but in the last week it has been like water so they did x-rays and said there was no blockage but it just does not seem normal. And Also I have have seizures and the only time I have mine is when I am asleep and when my son is sleeping he jerks alot his head and his body. Should I see about doing a sleep study on him. Thanking for listening.

hgreenwood7058 replied to Otto14's response:
otto- I would definately talk to your sons pediatrician about concerns about seizures especially since you have them and you have physicially seen the jerking when asleep.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.