8 week old feeding schedule
sgahagan1 posted:
I'm having trouble getting my 8 week old on a more managable schedule. She is exclusively formula fed. According to everything that I've read, she should be eating 4-6oz every 3-4 hours (she weighs 9.5 pounds). Right now she is eating every 1-2 hours day and night and is only eating 1-2oz at each feeding. I have tried waiting to feed her and trying to feed her more but she screams with hunger and still never eats more than 2 oz. She is growing nicely and following her height and weight curve but I am exhausted and feel like all I do is feed her and wash bottles. When will she start going longer between feedings? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed her along?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Carson stayed eating every two hours till he was about 3 months and then it started spacing out a bit. He at about 3 oz (pumped milk). Time is all you can do. Its tiring I know. My son has only slept through the night once since he was born and he turn a year old on sunday. He wakes up anywhere from 1-4 times a night still. If she is growing appropriately then the only thing is to wait and let her decide when she is ready to eat more. Every baby is different. You could try setting up 3 oz and try from there and make sure that she is burped often because sometimes that can be the issue as well.

scperdomo7 responded:
That's really tough! When I was on maternity leave my little guy ate every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours, though I breastfeed and didn't have to worry about cleaning bottles, it sure did seem like spent my whole day sitting on the couch feeding the baby!

Though Evan still eats about every 2-2 1/2 hours and he's almost 4 months old, I kind of expect that since breastmilk breaks up so much easier than formula. However, my oldest (he's 4) got formula and breastmilk and by 4 months he was eating 8 ounces every 4 hours (he was an eater!!).

I think trying to put babies that young on a schedule is really ridiculous, feed her on demand and 9 times out of 10 they will put themselves on a regimen. Just wait for her to show that she is hungry and then feed her, even at night. I promise it gets better!!!

I know it sounds silly to say, "just enjoy your time with them now!" but really, it's so true, before you know it they are 6,7,8 months old, crawling around, getting into stuff and flinging their mashed baby food at your face and you long for the days when they just laid there and you could stick a bottle (or boob) in their mouth!!