Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it possible to over feed your formula fed newborn?
daschone posted:
My son is 6 days old today and has been eating 1 oz every two hours until yesterday where he is now eating 4 oz every 3 hours. he is still just 3oz under his birth weight and has regular pees and poos. Sometimes about a half hour after he is alert and diaper changed he wants to eat again. Is he still hungry or does he just want it to want it? He shows all the cues of hunger and eats it happily, burps and never spits up. I'm nervous to overfeed but also want to give him his bottle if he is hungry. I'm calling my doctor in the morning but would love a second opinion or a first opinion rather. lol Thanks for the advice in advance! Any other new mommy advice is much appreciated as well. I want to do the right things and be the closest to perfect mommy possible!

scperdomo7 responded:
I really don't think it's possible to over feed a baby, especially if you stop mid way through the bottle to burp them - which would give them a chance to feel full, if that makes sense. Like how if we eat and eat really fast, we could eat a lot and then feel really full (almost sick) afterwards, but if we take our time and eat slowly, we feel full quicker and don't eat as much because our bodies have time to process the amount of food we've eat and coordinate our senses.

Anyway, I think a sign of overfeeding is spitting up as well, and you said he isn't doing that. You also said he went from eating 1 ounce every 2 hours, to eating 4 ounces every 3 hours. Babies typically need an ounce every hour, so it sounds like he's right on track. My little guy eats 4 ounces every 2 hours, and granted, its breastmilk so I know there are some discrepancies there, but not too much.

I would feed your baby when he is hungry, their stomachs are so tiny, they don't hold a lot at once and formula is formulated differently so it typically takes a little longer to digest, which is probably why he moved to 3 hours increments, but overall, just feed him and if you're super worried, talk to your pediatrician, but at this age, they grow and develop so quickly, they really do need the nutrition!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.