Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Feeding time and spitting up
    LoveBug21413 posted:
    My 7 week old baby has been spitting up "a lot" he was on 6 oz every 4 to 5 hours. now he spits everything up , I burp him just about every oz but it doesn't help. . I cut him back to 5 oz and he still acts hungry what should I do ???

awenlefay responded:
    My 4 mo old spits up quite a bit too. He is exclusively brestfed (which I'm only mentioning to point out ahead of time that bf babies will stuff themselves kinda silly too- just in case people try to tell you that you shouldn't be feeding your baby formula or from a bottle- that would obviously not be helpful) Anyways, he spits up quite a bit but I have been able to tone it down by feeding him less at a time but more often. After he really chows down is when he tends to spit up. Maybe if you cut his amount in half but fed him every two hours or so? "They" say that a babies tummy is only about as big as his fist so...

Also, I know it probably looks like he is spitting everything back up but try spilling an oz of water or formula on the counter or down his front and look at how much that looks like. A mess really goes a long way. Chances are he isn't spitting up as much as it seems.

Helpful Tips

Feeding tip
    When my baby was same age the rule was 2oz per pound. So if baby waight is 10lbs then he/she should have about 20 oz of formula. Have you ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.