Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feeding time and spitting up
LoveBug21413 posted:
My 7 week old baby has been spitting up "a lot" he was on 6 oz every 4 to 5 hours. now he spits everything up , I burp him just about every oz but it doesn't help. . I cut him back to 5 oz and he still acts hungry what should I do ???

awenlefay responded:
My 4 mo old spits up quite a bit too. He is exclusively brestfed (which I'm only mentioning to point out ahead of time that bf babies will stuff themselves kinda silly too- just in case people try to tell you that you shouldn't be feeding your baby formula or from a bottle- that would obviously not be helpful) Anyways, he spits up quite a bit but I have been able to tone it down by feeding him less at a time but more often. After he really chows down is when he tends to spit up. Maybe if you cut his amount in half but fed him every two hours or so? "They" say that a babies tummy is only about as big as his fist so...

Also, I know it probably looks like he is spitting everything back up but try spilling an oz of water or formula on the counter or down his front and look at how much that looks like. A mess really goes a long way. Chances are he isn't spitting up as much as it seems.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.