Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
baby poop on soy formula
newmom15 posted:
Hey everyone. I am a new mom and just switched my baby to similac soy formula from breastfeeding. We think she has some sort of milk intolorence.

She went from having 2 large bowel movements yellow seedy. A couple small marks on the diapers in between.

She now has 2 large bowel movements of a greenish watery and very stinky poop. is this normal of formula fed and of soy?

scperdomo7 responded:
Yes, that is normal for formula fed babies.

Breastfed babies will have yellow, seedy and typically not stinky bowel movements. While formula fed babies bowel movements are more green/brown, etc and very smelly.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
its different for every baby and it also depends on how old baby is. My son is a breast milk only baby but when we added solids his bm changed. And he is very smelly lol. It is common when you switch to formula to have an impact with bm's while they are getting used to it. You may also find as she takes more formula that her bm's could have a few days in between at times. Its also possible that if it continues to be liquidy (usually with formula its more formed than liquidy because sometimes its constipation over the other) it could be an intolerance to the soy. Keep at it for a few weeks and if she seems upset a lot or vomitting more than usual she may need to take a soy free lactose free formula.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.