Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breastpumping
An_248820 posted:
My baby was bottlefed in the hospital because I had c-section. I've tried to breastfeed her, but she's not patient at all, so I started to breastpump, but nothing came out and I got discouraged! It has been 1 week since I stopped trying and I feel guilty giving her formula. She's very colicky and gassy so I would like to try again. She's only 3 weeks old! Does anyone know if I can still breastpump again and succeed?

amandabrown responded:
as long as you still have some form of breast milk coming out yes. eat well. stay hydrated, your breast will always respond better to the baby so just keep trying. she may not be happy but once she latches and it happens she will get the hang of it, be patient. trying to pump in between will help too. my breast milk slowed drastically after 3 weeks of breast feeding but i just kept trying and even 5 minutes with the baby will help stimulate the ducts. dont let your breasts get engorged and stay on a pumping schedule if you try hard enough it will come back. they also have some kind of pills from walgreens i have heard of, i never used them so im not sure how they work but ive read good reviews. good luck.

JetKnee_x responded:
You can also go buy "mother's milk tea" and it will help bring your milk back in and keep it in, at least for a little bit. I successfully breast fed for 2 months before the stress of work got to me.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.