Skip to content
Transitioning baby from swing to bassinet/crib
acbernard posted:
I have a 9 1/2 week old and she didn't like sleeping in her bassinet, located in mine and my husbands room, but she loves her swing so we have let her sleep in that since she was a week old. I am worried that by letting her sleep in her swing I am not allowing her spine and back muscles to grow properly (this is what I have heard from other parents) Is it too soon to worry about this? At what age should a baby be out of the swing at night and in a bassinet or crib?

Last night we tried the bassinet she would sleep in there for 3 hours at a time getting up several times, it was not fun for any of us. She normally sleeps 7 hours, eats and then sleeps for another 3-4 hours we have been very lucky with her!

So what i would like to know is will she get better at sleeping on flat surfaces? Does she really need to transition now? And how to transition easily from swing to flat surface sleeping area?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Generally they don't recommend sleeping in a swing. What worked for us is we had a newborn rock n play sleeper thing. Carson stayed in it for about 6 months. Best thing ever haha. Carson has never been a good sleeper but just recently started getting better (at 17.5 months). But he slept pretty well in that. It has a slight incline which is really nice for babies that have reflux. And you can manually rock it. And its portable and folds for easy storage. This really came in handy because I had a emergent csection and I could put this right next to the couch by me and I could easily get him in and out. He stayed in that until he was too long for it. Carson was not a fan of his crib at all. Actually once he grew out of the rock n sleeper thing he would only sleep a few hours in the crib and then on the floor a few feet away from me in his room. He slept better that way. Once we converted his crib to the toddler bed he has been sleeping a lot better (had to convert it when he was abotu 13 months old). Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.