Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smelly gas
An_253735 posted:
My 4 1/2 month old has really smelly gas. What could be the cause of it?

hupper124 responded:
Hi
My son, Phoenix, is almost 4 and a half months old and he is breastfed. He has always had revoltingly smelly farts. I mentioned it to our pediatrician at the 6 week check up and asked what caused it - thinking it must be something I was eating. He said that some babies have smelly farts and some don't. He said something about bacteria getting to the 'food' that remains undigested. Obviously the less frequently they poo then the more opportunity for the bacteria to create the smell. Once the gas builds up it has to be released so nothing to worry about. Not sure if this is right but it makes sense. Hope this helps!

Rand Hupper
Kids Kreations

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.