Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Mother In-law won't let us raise baby our way!
JR_Daddy88 posted:
My mother in-law means well but she is 63 and thinks she knows it all. Which im not saying she doesn't know stuff but she won't let me and my wife make decisions for him. we are thinking about putting him on formula and she says we have to and my wife and i still aren't sure need to do a little more research and she is completely against us taking him to his aunt's for a halloween gathering and my wife and i are considering it but she is throwing a fit about it. WHAT DO I DO?

Darthalito responded:
I just went through the same thing, and the way I dealt with was:

I talked to my wife and told her that either she or me would have to talk to her mother, and let her know that while her knowledge and input was welcomed, all the decisions were made by us, and that for her to offer her opini?n she would have to be consulted by us. I had to put a stop to it because she was making all the decisions for my wife, against my judgement, and we both made mistakes.

Obviusly my wife talked to her, and she took it very well.

By the way I have been taking my 1 month old daughter, to family gatherings every week since she was born, and everything has been fine.

Just make sure that there aren't any sick kids.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
This can be a tough spot, but the good news is that your baby has 2 parents - and one them is not your mother in law.

It is important for new parents to listen to advice, but feel empowered to make their own choices. Ultimately your baby's health is your responsibility and you are under no obligation to follow someone else's advice (as well-meaning as it may be).

Hang in there. Talk to your wife, work together and see if you can help set some clear boundaries.

Your pediatrician has likely come across this scenario many times and would be an excellent person to talk to for advice.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.