Skip to content
Bruised lips
jabaras_mom posted:
My 4 week old seems to have 2 bruises, one on each side (each corner) of his lips (mouth). My sister said it may be from his bottles or pacifiers. I'm a first time mom and I'm want to make sure nothing is wrong. They have just recently appeared but don't seem to bother him. Should I be worried or could they just be something that happens naturally from sucking?

Thanx in advance,

Jabara's Mom

atti_editor responded:
Hi Jabara's Mom,

First of all congratulations on your baby boy! I know that with a newborn unexpected marks or rashes can be quite scary -- especially when you are a first-time parent. Your sister could very well be correct, that this bruising is from his sucking on a pacifier or bottle. I wanted to direct you to an older conversation over in our parenting community that sounds similar to the symptoms you describe. If you follow this link it will take you over there and you can read up on what others, and our expert, have said.

These boards can't replace medical advice, and if the symptoms persist (or for your own peace of mind) it might be a good idea to contact your pediatrician.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

-Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Community Abbreviation Guide
Everyone needs a cheat sheet when they first join the Pregnancy/Parenting Communities! Don't worry, I felt intimidated and confused with ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.