Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it safe to use Nexplanon while breast feeding
supgrandma posted:
Concerned for the safety of my 7 week old grandson. He is being breastfed and I would like to get feedback as to the side-effects or dangers that this may cause for him. He was born 6 wks premature and had complications. He had a rough delivery as well. With that being said, I am concerned for his wellbeing getting this hormone through mothers milk.
Thank you for you time to address this issue.

atti_editor responded:
Hi supgrandma,

First of all, congratulations on your new grandson! A quick search in our Drugs and Medications Center turned up some information on Nexplanon . It does state that "this medication passes into breast milk in small amounts. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding." I would encourage your daughter speak with her doctor regarding this issue. Hope this helps!

-Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.