Skip to content
Large breast infant?
eva122 posted:
Hi. My baby girl is only 17 days old. We were at the pediatrician today and we were told that her breast tissue are unusually large. They are not swollen, she has no fever, nor pain when they are touched, they are just large. (I have pretty huge breast myself and I mentioned this too). I am breast and bottle feeding her. Now the pediatrician is saying to take her to a hospital radiology for a sonogram and pelvic exam? I think this is a bit extreme for an infant? Has anyone experienced this problem before? Should I be concerned? Should I get a second opinion? Why should I let people poke and prod my newborn just to tell me she's fine and all is well?!?

Take the Poll

Did you experience this with your baby?
  • Normal
  • Abnormal
vote
View Poll Results

atti_editor responded:
Hi eva122,

While I do not have any experience with what you describe, I did find this article that you might find helpful. It states that it's normal for babies to have mild or even swollen, enlarged breasts due to exposure to hormones in the womb, and that over weeks or even months they will shrink and become flat. If you are concerned or want peace of mind, I think that your suggestion of a second opinion is a great idea before you little girl undergoes a number of tests. Let us know how everything is going!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.