Skip to content
Cow milk / bovine protein allergy in exclusively breastfed infant
An_255788 posted:
Hi[br>
I have a 2 years old daughter that was diagnosed with a bovine protein reaction (colitis, including multiple bloody stools, which led to low hemoglobin in her blood, dermatitis, and eczema, etc. ), while exclusively breastfed (0-4 month). I was on the restricted diet after first month, which still did not help the condition. Finally my daughter was transferred on a dehydrogenated formula up to age of 7 month. From age of 7 month to 1.5 years i was able to breastfeed her again and her reaction to bovine protein has disappeared.[br>
I am pregnant, due in May. My question is: to avoid the same condition and being able to breastfeed my second child, should I be considering to be on bovine protein restricted diet prior giving birth? How much prior? Are there any other aliments to avoid? Can someone refer me to some literature, so I can read and understand better this condition? If the child does not have any reaction, when should I try including bovine protein into my diet?[br>[br>I do understand that my second child can or can not have the same condition, but I want at all price avoid the situation in which I was with my first daughter and I want to be able to breastfeed the baby and not be transferred on a formula at least in the early age. I want to try to do as much as I can to succeed.
[br>Thank you very much

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

This is definitely something that you will want to discuss further with your pediatrician. He/she should be able to tell you what you should do before and after delivery to insure that any possible bovine protein allergies are properly cared for and that you and your baby are receiving proper nutrition. Here is some information that I found on milk allergies in infants.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.