Skip to content
VERY sleepy newborn
An_256030 posted:
My son is almost 2 works old and has been extremely sleepy since birth. He does not wake for feelings and when I wake him he only latches (breast feeding) for 5-10 min on average before falling asleep. His bilirubin was high but after 4 checks in the first few days they deemed that he did not need light therapy. He is gaining weight and has the right amount of diapers but the fact that NEVER cries due to hunger concerns me. Are there other things that could be causing this or am I just lucky to have an easy baby?

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your son! Newborns can sleep as much as 16 hours a day (sometimes more) at first. You can expect him to become more alert throughout the month. If he is waking for feedings, wetting the appropriate amount of diapers, and does not appear to be sick (running a fever, etc) then I don't think there is cause for concern. Here is some more information that you might find helpful. You might try some of the tips in the above link if he has a hard time waking up for meals. If you feel that his sleepiness is keeping him from getting adequate nutrition, a call to your pediatrician to discuss your concerns would be a good idea.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.