Skip to content
How long does it take for a baby with no food and water to pass away?
An_256731 posted:
I have a great niece that is in a hosp. from shaken baby syndrome and child assault.
We've taken the baby off life support and she's breathing on her own 8-12 breaths a minute. She's brain dead and blind from the horrific incident. Eight days the feeding tube was removed so she can live life in heaven. She's under sedation to control the seizures and pain. Can anyone help give me some info on how long it takes for a babies system to shut down, and what the process is with the body? This is a tough topic and I cannot find much information is on the internet about this....it's such a sensitive matter. The baby is 8.7 lbs, and 11 weeks old. The baby was rushed to the hosp 21 days ago. It's been the longest 3 weeks of our lives seeing this precious baby be a victim against this heinous act.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am so incredibly sorry for your family's loss of your beautiful great niece. Please know that we on the community are here if you need any support. I don't have an answer to your question, as every body is different in the time it may take to pass away. I will keep your family in my thoughts, and hope that you are able to find healing in this time of tragedy. Please let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.