Skip to content
Benadryl given to 2 yr old every night
An_257132 posted:
My grandsons mother has been giving my grandson benadryl every night since he was born to make him sleep at night. He will be 2 in a week and is still not talking. She locks him in his room after she medicates each night. Is it illegal to medicate a child to make them sleep every night? What harmful side effects could occur?

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is some information that I found on children's cold medicine and safety . It says that doctors generally agree a list of medications provided in the link (antihistamines such as Benadryl included) should not be used in children under 4. Side effects and other information can be found here .

That being said, I do not know the specifics of your grandson's situation. Have you had a talk with his mother about why she gives him this to sleep every night? Has she discussed her routine with your grandson's doctor? Having an open conversation with her might be best. Please let us know how everything goes!

Best wishes,
Atti

An_257524 replied to atti_editor's response:
not a good idea in my opinion

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.