Skip to content
Teething and rashes?
dani59379 posted:
Hi my name is Danielle. I have a 8 month old baby who I believe is trying to cut her first teeth (the bottom) and all of a sudden has this red itchy diaper rash. The diaper rash has been there for about 4 days now. Well, yesterday while making dinner I noticed she had started itching at the neck line under her chin. Later on I noticed it was really red from the scratching and took her onesie off and noticed these little tiny red bumps all over her tummy and back very little on the arms and legs. Last night she woke me up at 1:10 in the morning and has been awake ever since it's now 8 a.m. The rash was very red and irritated when she woke. But it gets really warm in our room at night. It seems all of the rash is very itchy for her. My question is is this rash a part of her teething? Cause I have heard that diaper rash and a skin rash appear in some infants that are teething. Thanks. I'm kinda freaking out and feel really bad for her. So a response would be very helpful.

atti_editor responded:
Hi Danielle,

Here is some information on common teething concerns that I found. It says that babies often times get a rash on their chin, face or chest as a result of drooling. Mild symptoms that gradually improve are generally nothing to worry about and could even be caused by some sort of viral infection. There are also a number of other things that could be causing her rash. You might try taking a look at our Baby Rashes and Skin Care Directory to see if anything listed there is similar to what your daughter is experiencing.

If she is increasingly uncomfortable, or if the rash seems to be getting worse, it would be a good idea to call your pediatrician to see if maybe some sort of medication or other treatment is necessary. Please let us know how your little girl is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.