Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Acid reflux/lactose intolerent
funtimesofpareting posted:
HI,

I have a 4 month old that has acid reflux. She is now on Prilosec to control that. She does not handle soy and I am using nutramigen as her formula. I have tried Enfamil, Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil Soy and now nutramigen. When her pediatrician put her on Prilosec she never ran any tests just took my work for it. She listened to the signs Caitlyn was having and said she has acid reflux. Is this normal for a doctor to just take a parents word for it??? The pediatrician put her on Prilosec and had me start nutramigen at the same time. To me I should have done one at a time to see if she had acid reflux or lactose intolerant. How do you find out if she is lactose intolerant? Is this something that the pediatrician will take a parents word for also??

atti_editor responded:
Hi funtimesofpareting,

This article on acid reflux in babies and children says that oftentimes a medical history told by the child's parent is enough to make a diagnosis. It does list some further testing that can be done if needed/recommended. Here is some information on lactose intolerance diagnosis. It does list two tests that can be done, but both state that they are not usually done on babies or very young children. You might ask your doctor about all of the above tests and discuss whether benefits may outweigh any risks (looks like diarrhea for the lactose intolerance tests) in doing the tests, or if your current plan of action is sufficient enough. Please let us know ow she is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.