Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wheatgrass for Eczema
KatieS83 posted:
I'm going crazy with DS skin, i've tried everything! Have any of you heard of using Wheatgrass spray on eczema to help relieve the symptoms as oppose to using steroid creams? I just cant seem to get his skin to calm down, and the allergist is being anything but useful continually telling me "it takes time for the skin to fully heal etc etc" I told him yesterday, the skin cant heal if it keeps flaring up! He says to use Aveeno, which i've been using right along and to moisturize DS skin, which i've been trying to find a moisturizer that works with his skin, I now have a shelf of almost 10 moisturizers that cant be used and tons of money down the drain, every time i got near DS with a bottle moisturizer he screams and tries to run away. Hes fine with aquaphor (granted he wiggles a lot but little to no fussing), the allergist swears just using aquaphor isnt enough, as its only a skin protectant and not a moisturizer.Everything i've read on wheatgrass swears is safe for LO's i was wondering if anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
I'm sorry. I don't have any experience with severe excema. DD has sit sometimes on her face & the Aveeno cream works well. I think I would try the wheatgrass before I did a steroid cream though. Have you considered seeing a naturapath or a herbal pharmacist? Maybe they would have some natural ideas that would help out. I know from previous posts that your LO has pretty bad allergies. I'm guessing maybe the moisterizer is burning his excema? Have you tried California Baby moisturizer? I know they have products free of most allergens and irritants and pretty much chemical free.

KatieS83 replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
its funny, it just hit me this morning that going homeopathic is worth a shot, and his OT is very big into that, i talked to her and she gave me a bunch of products that may help, so i'm going to try those out on him and see if they help. I'm just tired of steroids, i know they arent good to use long term. I am begining to search out a few of those products now.

ariannasmommy1125 replied to KatieS83's response:
Yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to use steroids if you can help it. DD has been on prednisone for wheezing before and she is a totally different little person when she is on it and not in a good way. I'm not sure about for excema but I know lavender oil is wonderful for burns so maybe that might help? We took DD to an allergist and she was very much about putting DD on a ton of meds & for me it was more about finding out what she had problems with and then working around it. Let me know how the homeopathic options work out!

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I would definitely try the homeopathic/naturopathic route before using steroid creams, as well.

My older girls both suffer from eczema, but Aveeno seems to help alleviate the flare-up periods.

I hear that diet plays a big role in eczema...although I've looked into it once or twice, I can't remember what "vitamin" or mineral is lacking with eczema...

Let me see if I can google it.

These natural skin remedies look great:
http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/homeremedies_eczema.htm

This site says that eczema is from the body's inability to secrete "something" -- and now I can't remember what.

"Eczema is an auto-immune response to a perceived invader. And there is more and more evidence that food intolerance (as well as food allergy) effects the immune system. Some children and people have a sensitivity or intolerance to shellfish , nuts , eggs , soy and especially gluten (Gluten is a highly complex protein that occurs in four main grains: wheat, rye, barley and oats.)." http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/eczema.htm

MontanaMama2009 responded:
So now I'm fixated on this eczema topic:

A double-blind study compared a 1% and 2% licorice gel compared to a placebo gel for eczema. After two weeks, both the 1% and 2% licorice gels were more effective than the placebo gel, and the 2% gel was more effective at reducing redness, swelling, and itching than the 1% gel.
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsetoh/a/Eczema.htm

sbgldngrl responded:
my son had severe eczema all over his body. our allergist sucked too so i did my own research. what worked for us is salt water baths. he would take his bath and get cleaned and then we would put in fresh water and pour some sea salt in and he would soak and play for about 20 min. within a week it had all cleared up and still hasnt come back. he also has allergies but we never changed his diet during hte process-just did the baths. try it...it couldnt hurt and its cheap.

KatieS83 replied to sbgldngrl's response:
The sea salt didn't sting his skin? thats part of our issue, is everything we put on him stings except for the Aquaphor. I will check out everything you ladies posted Thanks so much!

sbgldngrl replied to KatieS83's response:
no it didnt bother him at all and he had it bad. his legs were all scratched up from the itching. he looked like a cat had attacked him. we actually noticed the salt working when we were at the beach for a week. we had tried probably tried every lotion out there and atleast 7 different Rx creams. this is the only thing that has worked.

KatieS83 replied to sbgldngrl's response:
good enough for me, I'll have to get some tonight and try it out. Thanks!

RunninMama replied to sbgldngrl's response:
You know, my MIL said when her boys were little, the pedi prescribed epsom salts for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Rash? Soak in epsom salts. Bee sting - epsom salts. Hair wrapped around your baby's penis (this happened to DH's brother apparently) - make a paste of epsom salts and apply it to the area. It always solved their problems.

I'm wondering just out of pure curiosity, is epsom salts considered natural? I honestly don't know exactly what it is. But if my DS had eczema, I'd probably try the salt bath.

Aveeno, Eucerin and Aquaphor have been the three products our pedi names when DS has dry skin or a mild rash. We us Aquaphor for heavy dryness and Eucerin as an every day moisturizer. Sorry I couldn't give specific help with the eczema. I hope you are able to get it cleared up soon.

KatieS83 replied to RunninMama's response:
We use Aquaphor currently, along with aveeno baths (it just doesnt seem to be cutting it KWIM?) We used to use Eucerin but DS would scream, i'm not talking just a "i dont want to do this" scream, but a "help someones trying to kill me" scream. After a few times of going through that we stopped using it, and its happened with almost every moisturizer we've used, the ones that didnt make him scream, made him break out worse. We just went back to using the Aquaphor on him. I'll try anything once, especially if it stands a chance of making my little guy feel better.

sbgldngrl replied to KatieS83's response:
let me know how it goes. i hope it helps!

cheeezie25 responded:
DS has excema, and his ped recommended aquaphor (or something like that) and a recommendation for a steroid cream. We were at Target and asked the pharm where the steriod cream was... we got to talking, and apparently, her daughter had excema as well. She recommended a completely different cream instead of the steroid cream. Apparently, the steroid cream helps to alleviate the symptoms of the excema (the red rash), but aggrevates the underlying causes of the condition and makes the skin thinner and more suspetable to repeat outbreaks. In her personal and professional opinion she recommended a pH balancing cream... I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head (I can look it up once I'm home if you are interested). I gave it a whirl, and it worked WONDERS! It isn't a prescription, but they kept it behind the counter (probably because a teeny tiny tube was like $15 or $20), but it was really worth it. We only used a little bit to control his initial outbreak, and have just used aquaphor or whatever as more of a preventative measure. He has only had one little tiny patch of excema since, and his first outbreak was a few months ago. HTH!

cheeezie25 responded:
Amantle - that is the name of the cream.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, DH, three girls, two labs, one tabby cat, 20 guppies and a baby lop-eared bunny.

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.