Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Photos of your veggie garden, please!
MontanaMama2009 posted:
So post a photo of your vegetable garden. I can't cuz I'm at work, but I can upload a photo tomorrow!

BTW, I urban garden, so it's not really that impressive. Also, the herbs are just about 1/2 inch above ground...if that. Nothing else has sprouted yet.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

daisy729 responded:
I wish I was better at that. I've tried growing stuff, but I either over or under water.

Maybe when our backyard is finished I can grow some stuff.

katieb426 responded:
I can't even get our seeds in the ground yet- still too cold. In fact, it's supposed to snow tonight! I think this weekend we will be able to get everything planted.

Right now we have chives, peas, onions, lemon thyme, and spinach all sprouting. They are the early spring crops and seem to be doing great. AND our strawberry patch looks amazing. Maybe I'll just take a picture of that!

sarahann1978 responded:

There isn't much going on yet, and this is only half of it. It is still too cold to plant tomatoes, peppers, squash and such. I haven't had much time to deal with weeds, but hopefully I will get to that soon!

KCAimee replied to sarahann1978's response:
Very cool! I have my tomatoes going and my strawberry plants are sprouting like crazy! I can't believe it and I'm so excited about them!

MontanaMama2009 responded:
my miserable attempt at "urban gardening."

Have to use the flower beds at the front andside of the house for my herbs and veggies, too.

I planted the peas in front of the metal trellis, so they will grow up those. There's already chives ready to pick...in fact, already have the purple heads/flowers.

At the side, I have more herbs and my veggies. The flowers and shrubs (and small lilac trees I planted two summers ago) are flourishing, but the garden/herbs are mainly 1/2 inch sprouts. Sigh...

http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/MontanaMama2009/?action=view&current=gardenfront1.jpg&newest=1

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/MontanaMama2009/gardenside.jpg

wxbuny replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
oh I love your house MM! I have always wanted a victorian!

MontanaMama2009 replied to wxbuny's response:
Thanks, wxbuny. It really is a pretty home, just not very GREEN. Which is my new thing now: being green.

So I'm trying to find ways to lessen our impact on the earth while living here:

* Better insulation
* better winterizing
* switch over to those new light bulbs
* keep the heat down in the winter and the air up in thesummer

What I'd really like to do is find a place out in the country where I can practice sustainable living: gardening, have a cow for milk, chix for eggs, a pig to breed and slaughter, large laundry line out back, use recycled rainwater, have some solarpanels and a new wind turbine.

But I"m dreaming, again...

wxbuny replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I share your dream, all but the pig, I don't like pork and the pig would have a name and be my friend in the first two seconds! yep I'm weird!! My hubby does ALL those things you need including windows (he's a professional glazer (fancy name for glass cutter, window maker/installer)) He has been out of work for almost two months now, so do you want him to fly out?? hehe!

sarahann1978 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Have you heard of the passive solar concept? It's about orienting your home in a east to west direction and having large windows on the south side. In the winter when the sun is in the south it allows that radiation to heat your home and during the summer when the sun is more over your house you cover the windows or grow deciduous trees to shade the windowns. You could google it to get a better description. Also I when we get to a more permanent location I would love to have geothermal heat/air installed.

wxbuny replied to sarahann1978's response:
where is my ''like'' button? lol! That's awesome Sarah!!

sarahann1978 replied to sarahann1978's response:

Here is an updated photo of my garden from this morning, I tried to get the same shot as I posted a month ago.

Here you can see the full length of the garden, at the far end is a lot of tomatoes, peppers and the green beans.

A close up of my first Anaheim chile of the year!
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
That's a FABULOUS garden...

But...I have to say that I'm shocked at how...dusty?...your earth is, LOL. :)

I'm from Ohio where it's brownish-black with lots of fat worms and the soil is extremely easy to dig in and has a very "earthy" smell to it...your earth looks hard to dig in? Do you use a type of fertilizer or added nutrients to yours?

I'll take a photo of my meager herb garden, LOL, and post it tomorrow.

BTW, Montana's soil is pretty barren and dry. Which is why it's only good for grazing beef cattle and growing wheat.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
BTW, you're so techy at gardening that you have a drop line??? Way to go!
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I mean "drip" line

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.