Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
egg whites
avatar
bethmac182 posted:
I read in What to Expect the First Year that you shouldn't give your baby egg whites until she is a year old. Just wondering if anyone knew why. I'd like to expand her diet and was considering scrambled eggs. TIA

Beth
Reply
FirstPrevious12NextLast
 
avatar
MontanaMama2009 responded:
I never knew that.

With all 3 of my girls, they got the whole egg.

Huh...????
 
avatar
mamatobe08 responded:
It's because of allergies. Just like putting off peanut products, shellfish, etc. It's one of those things where you have to weigh the risks vs. benefits. I didn't risk it with DS and I won't with the new LO either, but many people(like MontanaMama!) don't have any problems when the kids get them. I just get too paranoid. :)
 
avatar
MontanaMama2009 replied to mamatobe08's response:
Oh! Allergies.....

My middle dd has allergies to anything in the shellfish family. She has trouble breathing. Not good.

No troubles with eggs, though.
 
avatar
daisy729 responded:
Yep...allergies.

If anyone on either side of the family has a lot of food allergies, they suggest that you wait until after 12 months to try out foods that have a history of allergic reaction (eggs, shellfish, fish, peanuts, etc).

I waited until DS was after 12 months, but we have a lot of allergies in our family.

It's really up to you. Some wait, others don't.
 
avatar
MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Well, that must be why I never paid attention to that info because allergies DON'T run in our family...except for middle dd's allergy to shellfish, which truly, she never ate a shellfish until she was about 7 or 8.

As for peanut butter, I just naturally shied away from that until my kids were 1 or a bit later. Same with honey.
 
avatar
daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I have so many in family it's crazy.

I am not allergic to anything, but I have intolerances...milk and oregano. Milk is common, oregano, not so much. But, either one of them makes me quite ill.

My mom is allergic to shellfish, MSG, sulfites, and nutmeg. She has true allergies and not an intolerance to those, she breaks out into a rash and her throat closes up. She has the same intolerance to oregano and milk as I do.

My grandmother could not eat raw carrots or apples, but could eat them if they were fully cooked. My cousin has the same issues.

Strange, I know! So, I'm totally paranoid and read all about that when I was pregnant and starting to feed Dane more solid foods. The scary thing to me is that we can eat something for years and then develop an allergy. My mom didn't develop those allergies until she was in her 50s. I didn't have a problem with milk until I was in college. I wonder what happens in our bodies to all of a sudden develop them?
 
avatar
bethmac182 replied to daisy729's response:
Thanks Ladies, i think i'll skip the eggs for now until she's a liitle older. Just 2 and 1/2 months to go until shes 1!
 
avatar
mamatobe08 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Yeah, we don't have any allergies either, but the idea of an allergic reaction creeped me out so bad lol, heck, it still does!
 
avatar
mamatobe08 replied to daisy729's response:
I don't know the specifics, but I know that my mom at age 53 became allergic to beestings. The way the ER doctor explained it to us(I had to bring her in because her eyes swelled up so bad that she couldn't open them) I guess the body over time gets exposed to these things and too much can cause an allergy? I don't know lol! It's confusing. My mom has been stung by tons of bees though, and a few years ago she started getting minor reactions(swelling, bruising, etc) but over time it got worse. The time her eyes swelled shut, she was stung on her leg, so it wasn't like it was swollen at the wound. She now has an epi pen and has to carry it on her if she mows the grass--that last sting was when she was mowing and there was a nest in the ground.
 
avatar
wxbuny replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
We gave DD peanut butter and eggs early. MM honey isn't because of allergies it's because of botulism, like what they found in baby formula recently. Not good for babies! (you may have already known that but I didn't want someone who reads this to think that's the reason and give it ti their lo) because I care, lol
 
avatar
mamatobe08 replied to wxbuny's response:
They found that in formula?!??? I haven't heard about that. Do you have a link?
 
avatar
wxbuny replied to mamatobe08's response:
here is a link. I know there are more out there. My mom went to make my baby cousin a bottle and saw all this black sediment. Well a month later I heard about the recall. SOo scary!

http://www.examiner.com/x-23788-Mankato-Attachment-Parenting-Examiner~y2010m2d22-Researchers-find-botulismcausing-spores-in-US-infant-formula
 
avatar
cheeezie25 replied to wxbuny's response:
Sorry, this is totally veering OT, but that is insane that a hospital (I am assuming... the article link didn't work) would feed premature babies powdered formula!!! Our NICU only gave babies premixed formula, because that form of formula is considered to be sterile. And if I am remembering correctly (which it is very possible I am not), they even suggested to us that we use the little premade vials for supplementing for a short time once he came home just until he put on some weight. I know the formula makers are the ones essentially at fault, but that is pretty irresponsible of the hospital as well!
 
avatar
wxbuny replied to cheeezie25's response:
here is a little of what the article says (you have to cut and paste, apparently I didn't attach is right)

Because spores were linked to infant formula that caused botulism in an infant in the UK , researchers tested formula from sick US babies and store shelves and found disturbing results.
Researchers studied formula obtained from the families of nineteen babies in California who had been diagnosed with botulism. They also purchased containers of powdered infant formulas from other sources.
Five of the 30 samples from the sick infants contained clostridial botulinium spores. Spores were also found in 7 of 9 market-purchased formula samples. Multiple types of soil-dwelling strains of botulinum were identified.
Many types of botulinum spores are commonly found in dust and soil worldwide. However, the strain Clostridium botulinum is particularly harmful to infants and can cause severe illness. This strain can colonize in the intestine and produce neurotoxins leading to paralysis, a need for ventilation and even death.


Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.