Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm Going Shampoo-Free, too!
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Man, my husband is going to wonder who I'm morphing into, LOL.

But I found several websites that talk about this, and I read all of their reviews and comments, so I'm going for it!

It's very simple:
Pitch all of my shampoos and conditioners ladened with chemicals that I can't pronounce and switch to baking soda and water for my shampoo, and vinegar and water for conditioning.

Here's a link:
http://www.fourgreensteps.com/infozone/lifestyle-health/a-green-and-healthy-beauty-secret-going-shampoo-free

(P.S.: Who wants in on a bet that I'll quit shaving my pits by the end of the year? LOL)

KatieS83 responded:
I have to applaud you, i could never give up my shampoo. You have my up-most support and applause!

daisy729 responded:
I have tried going without shampoo, it didn't last very long. I hope you can hold out and do it

And...if you stop shaving your pits, we will hold an intervention for you

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Daisy,

I read that your scalp goes through a transition period when you first start using baking soda and cold water. It's used to producing lots of oil due to the shampoos stripping process. So to start off, use bs and water one day, vinegar and water condition it.

Then the next day, use your regular shampoo/conditioner treatment, only less.

Then switch back to your bs and water, vinegar and water again the next.

Do this switching off and on for a week, using less and less shampoo each time.

Some people take just that one week to adjust to producing less oil, some people, it takes a month.

Also, I read that it's great for people with dandruff, baking soda and water and vinegar and water.

And if you want to smell good, add some essential oils.

For deep conditioning, use jojoba oil on the ends of your hair, or olive oil.

MontanaMama2009 replied to KatieS83's response:
Katie,

I'll be the experiment, k?

I'll report daily on the likes and dislikes, and then you can decide if you want to go this route.

It's also supposed to be so much healthier for your hair...and our LO's hair, as well.

daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I can honestly see why it would be good for our hair and our scalp.

I would just be really worried about how it would work with my scalp, and hair. I have eczema flare ups. And, I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. Both of which can cause cracks in my skin, so it gets really sensitive. So, I would be afraid of the vinegar. Maybe I will be brave one day. Or, maybe if it works really well for you I might try it.

Also, I'm honestly not joking when I tell you my hair is like a brillo pad! I have super super curly, frizzy and a LOT of hair. I have to put a lot of product on my hair, if I let it go au natural...I look like this:

MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Oh, dear Lord, Daisy...you've got problems...LOL

daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
  • giggle* I know

But...it made you laugh. Heck, it cracked me UP!
  •  
    jlcohen78 responded:
    Too funny that you posted this. I was reading about it on another forum I belong to. I agree --- you can be the experiment and tell us how it goes, lol! I'm willing to give up TP. But shampoo is another story! ha!ha!ha!

MontanaMama2009 replied to jlcohen78's response:
    Okay, I'm the experiment then...

I'll start tomorrow.

But if it really, truly works, you're all gonna have to pitch your shampoos and conditioners, too!

sarahann1978 responded:
    I work for an Indian Tribe and this past weekend went to a cultural camp for their youth where there were elders teaching the old ways. One of the demonstrations was how to make yucca soap. One of the women said they really used yucca soap to wash their hair as kids and she said it would make your hair squeaky clean, better than any shampoo she has used since.

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
    I'll have to Google that!

KatieS83 replied to daisy729's response:
    Hahahaha nice fro!

KatieS83 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
    yeah keep me posted, right now i'm not using shampoo on DS at all because of his Eczema, i wash his head with the sea salt water in his tub. If i absolutely have to wash his hair, i use a pea size amount on his head only. I am curious to see how the BS, and vinegar work out

Sarah95838 responded:
    Well Good luck with that!LOL I have tryed "Green Works" dishsoap as a preventive to our dying world and let me tell you washing dishes once caused my hands to be dryed out and cracked!
    Palmolive is what I will keep too!As for shampoo and conditoner.put baking soda and vinegar together and what happens?Exactally!That will dry out your hair.
    Keep us posted on your journey:)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
    I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.