Skip to content
Cloth Diaper Cover Question
sarahaguirre posted:
DD has been exclusively CD since she was about 6 months or so. Now she's getting too big for some her diapers and covers. Right now we use Mother-ease Sandy's and their Air Flow covers.

Anyhow,

I was recently looking online for a new cover since she's needs new ones but I would like something that is VERY breathable since I live in Arizona. I wanted to know if anyone has used a knitted wool cover(soaker)? I hear they are great to prevent wicking on outside clothes BUT I'm hesistant.

Has anyone used a wool cover? Do you have to re-lanolize them often?

My mother in law knitts DD all kinds of unpractical things so maybe if it works out I can just have her knit some wool covers instead of some god aweful sun hat (I love my MIL BTW lol).

Thanks

KCAimee responded:
Hey Sarah! I've used wool. We use wool exclusively at night right now but I use interlock wool instead of knit. I used to have some knit pants and shorts and they were awesome. You only have to lanolize wool when it starts to leak and you only have to wash when it starts to smell. DD wears her wool soaker all night, every night for a good 2 weeks before we have to wash it. I love it!!

The thing about wool though is that it will be thicker than regular covers so would be bulky under clothes. If you mom knits you some shorties your DD could just wear those. Here is a pic of the shorties we had (well, still have. I have them for sale). I worried they would be hot in the summer but they let in so much air that they are not hot at all.

Here are the pants:

sarahaguirre responded:
I wonder if the interlock ones arehard to make. Seriously my mother in law is a super master at knitting all kinds of stuff in different styles. I really hope she can make these. The ones you showed are the exact same ones I have bought but they're the shorties and I bought one pair of longies that can be work as capris. I think i'll use those overnight. I've heard their more bulky but I figure she's in dresses alot during the hot weather anyway so it shouldn't be too noticable.

Thanks

Oh.... one more question. Where can I find pure lanolin? Does it even have to be pure or can it be a blend? What do you use?

KCAimee replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I think the interlock would be super easy to make (if you have any skills..which I do not!). Here is a blog that alot of mamas use: http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/ At the right she has soaker patterns.

You can use Lansinoh lanolin (like you use when you are BF'ing). I use a wool wash from here: www.hyenacart.com/eweneedit which already has lanolin in it. I shouldn't have to add extra lanolin but I like to since I use these overnight so I just put some lanolin on my fingers and rub it lightly through the wetzone. I really like lanolin from here: http://hyenacart.com/Woollybottoms/ The love spell smells really good. It's at the bottom and it looks like she is sold out right now but if you emailed her she might have more or tell you when she will have more. Actually Ewe Need It also has lanolin balm. I've never tried hers but I LOVE her wool wash (Monkey Farts is my favorite scent!).

MontanaMama2009 replied to KCAimee's response:
Aimee,

Those are adorable!

sarahaguirre responded:
Thank Aimee! I'll try to look those up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.