Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Another Cloth Diaper Question
sarahaguirre posted:
I didn't start to CD DD until she was around 6 or 7 months. Have any of you cloth diapered a newborn? I would think the meconium (sp?) would stain a lot. What did you do to prevent staining AND What diapers did you use. I have some Motherease one size but I don't know if they'd be too big on a new born. We excusvely use fitted dipes right now. Any suggestions?

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I used sposies until the umbilical cord fell off (infant size with the umbilical cord cutout notch), and with No. 3 I used infant sized G-diapers, and then used cloth diapers, so the meconium was already done with.

But I'll be interested to read what others say...

mamatobe08 responded:
I have no advice but I'm curious as well. We started to CD DS at 10 months old. I think I will still do disposables with this LO for the first month or so, but I might be brave and do cloth, especially if we buy this house we're in love with out in the boonies!

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I found this:

[a name=#faq6> What about meconium? Should I use liners/disposables for this?http://clothdiapers.thefunnyemu.com/about.html
In all my research, in my own personal experience, and in reports from many other cloth users, I have yet to hear about one case of meconium staining a diaper, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. use you diapers just like you would at any other time. To be honest, breastmilk bowel movements stain much more, but the stains easily sun out, so again, no worries!

KCAimee responded:
I've read about this on Diaper Pin and the mamas who CD from birth say the meconium isn't bad at all. I don't think you have to rinse it either. I think it's like normal BF baby poop where you just wash it.

About the OS. I don't think a OS would fit a newborn very well, but I don't know. I think they would fit better at 3 or 4 mo old. Most mamas on the Pin who CD from birth say go with PF's since they will grow out of fitteds so quickly if you get newborn ones. You can also just tri-fold and lay in the cover .

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Name is Aubrey, I just had my first child, Bradley James, on 11/13/2010. I am 21 years old, not married, but I've been with Bradleys father for...More

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.