Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My First Family Cloth and Cloth Napkins (jlcohen!!!!!)
MontanaMama2009 posted:
[a name=7281215236318481663> Cloth Napkins and Family Cloth

This past weekend, my daughters and I sewed up some cloth napkins and family cloth.

I went to the local Good Samaritan store and found fabric. The rose pattern I really liked for the napkins (to match my Victorian home), and the family cloth was made out of flannel bedding (so soft!). I spent $1.50 in fabric.

Reasons to use cloth napkins:
Saves the environment in several ways. First, I'm not purchasing paper napkins that will get thrown into the garbage on a daily basis. Second, I'm not perpetuating the manufacturing of paper products and all the harm that does to our environment during the paper-making process.

Reasons to use family cloth:
This, too, helps save the environment by (1) eliminating the amount of demand for manufacturing of toilet paper, and (2), helps in the process of sanitation treatment plants. On the downside, I will only use this for No. 1, not No. 2. True eco-friendly fanatics can go the distance...I however, am a bit apprehensive.

My 10yo daughter and I have been the first ones to try this new family cloth. My daugher's first expression after her first time using it: "Wow! Feels as soft as angel's wings!"

Since we cloth diaper, we'll just toss those into the same pre-wash and wash load. Hang dry.

As an aside, these flannel cloths don't leave behind any residue like regular toilet paper can, and they really are super soft.

For additional reading on family cloth, read this article called "Family Cloth: Freaky or Frugal?"
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/17317921/family_cloths_frugal_or_freaky.html?cat=7
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MontanaMama2009 responded:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1731792/family_cloths_frugal_or_freaky.html?cat=7

RunninMama responded:
I love your daughter's reaction to the family cloth! How sweet! Made my day! (I was having a rough one so far, so thanks for the pick-me-up!)

RunninMama replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Oh, and good on ya, MontanaMama! You remain an inspiration to me.

MontanaMama2009 replied to RunninMama's response:
Sorry your day is not going so well...maybe a hot cup of tea and some sunshine on your face might just do the trick?

Anyhow, I'll be wishing you a better day ahead [[[hugs>>>>

daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
*blush*

When I was first reading about the napkins, for some reason I thought it was the momma pad...so I was impressed that you thought to match that material to your house! Then I went...DUH, those are cloth napkins! Then I started giggling :) It's Monday, my brain is still waking up apparently.

MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Silly girl :)

I did make some of my own mama cloth. Pretty pathetic first attempt, but I'll get better.

And this is what I bought:
(MUCH PRETTIER)

RunninMama replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Aw, thanks, MontanaMama. I'm okay, though. The day is turning out just fine. Just had a few kinks in the morning. Thanks for thinking of me.

Ryannbaby responded:
I have to ask about the family cloths. How is this sanitary??? Are each of you assigned your own cloth? How long do you use them before you wash them? What measures are taken to keep them sanitary after each use - although I can't imagine that there are any, other than washing them. I can understand alot of the things that you and the other ladies do to cut costs and to help the enviornment ... but I just can't wrap my mind around this.

MontanaMama2009 replied to Ryannbaby's response:
I cloth diaper, so we just add them to the cd laundry.

They are in a stack on each toilet. Use it, toss it into the bucket to be washed.

No poop. Just pee.

Sanitary? We only use it once and then wash it...so I'm not understanding your question? We're a family. It's not like we are combining ours with yours, or vice versa...???

mamatobe08 replied to Ryannbaby's response:
It's just like keeping cloth diapers sanitary. If you cloth diaper, you'd know that you keep those things clean. It's the same process(I assume) to keep the family cloth clean--probably even easier if you're just using them for #1..

I also assume that you wash after every use. I don't know if that's true but that's what I would think. Think of how much toilet paper your household goes through in a month. The cloth would be a huge savings and the positive effects for the environment are great.

I don't think I could do it, but more power to you Kim! They look great!

MontanaMama2009 replied to mamatobe08's response:
Thanks for that explanation, mamatobe.

Yes, just one use...then wash.

BTW, in a household of FOUR girls who pee A LOT, this will save $$$, yes.

Ryannbaby replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I asked how it was sanitary because I didn't know if you washed after each use or not. You seem so cost efficient and enviornmentally minded - so I figured washing after each use would create a huge amount of laundry, water, detergent, energy, etc.

MontanaMama2009 replied to Ryannbaby's response:
But I already cloth diaper, so I'm already doing laundry.

a few small cloths in each load is nothing.

Also, even if I weren't cloth diapering, it would still be more environmentally friendly than the whole paper-making process.

mamatobe08 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
You know, the more I think about it, the more this would make sense for me. I pee more often than anyone I know lol(seriously...DS can hold it longer than me) and I hate doing it because I use so much t.p. during the day! Maybe when we get our own house, I will try it out. I don't think my mom would be on board with me doing it while living with her! Ughh...so hoping we can get a house soon lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.